1. This simple hairstyle is perfect for a warm spring day, when you want to keep your hair cool and off your neck. First, part your hair in a deep side part (instead of combing it back smoothly). This makes it look a little less fancy, perfect for bike rides or Sunday picnics. Then gather your hair into a ponytail on top of your head. The higher, the better.
2. Make a loose braid all the way down the tail. Don’t braid it too tightly; a little messy is perfect and it will help it look less “ballerina.” Secure the end with a rubber band; I recommend these clear elastic bands, since they’ll blend into your hair color and won’t be as visible.
3. Creating a circle on top of your head with the braid. You don’t want to wrap it tightly like a bun; instead you want it loose and open in the center, kind of like a braided pillbox hat! (If your hair is really long, you may have to double up the braid, one in front of the other.) When you reach the end, tuck the bottom of the braid under the circle you’ve created to hide it.
4. Pin the braid in place with mini bobby pins, since they’re easier to hide and won’t be as noticeable.
5. A few suggestions: I like to make the look a little messier by pulling little strands of hair out at the back and sides, but if you prefer it cleaner, you don’t have to do that. And if you’d like, you can pin your bangs out of the way with bobby pins.